Carabao Cup round-up

The first night of Carabao Cup third round matches provided its usual array of twists and turns on a goal-filled Tuesday evening.

The Premier League sides who qualified for Europe last season entered at this stage, but there were no shocks for those in continental competition.

Manchester City 6-1 Wycombe

As expected, Pep Guardiola rotated his squad of megastars but there were still starting places for the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling, Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez.

It didn’t initially go to plan for the Citizens, who fell behind to the League One outfit after 22 minutes when Ryan Tafazolli squared it to Brandon Hanlan who had the simplest of tasks to tap home and send the travelling Chairboys supporters into raptures.

The dream lasted all of seven minutes, when De Bruyne brought Manchester City back level.

Further goals from Mahrez and a rocket from Foden certainly put the tie beyond all doubt before the half-time whistle.

Second-half efforts from Ferran Torres, Mahrez again plus a memorable moment for Cole Palmer took the hosts to six.

Norwich 0-3 Liverpool

Jurgen Klopp handed a start to Kaide Gordon, who became Liverpool’s fifth youngest debutant at just 16 years 11 months and 13 days old.

It was a routine victory for the side who last won the League Cup in 2012, against a Norwich side who have the look of a team devoid of any confidence.

Takumi Minamino gave the Reds a perfect start when he scored after just four minutes, but the Canaries were gifted a way back into the match shortly before the break.

After being awarded a penalty, Christos Tzolis stepped up from 12-yards but saw his spot kick saved by the legs of Caoimhin Kelleher.

Divock Origi doubled the visitors’ advantage in the 50th minute before Minamino got his second with 10 minutes left to play to put the tie beyond any doubt.

QPR 2-2 Everton (8-7 on penalties)

QPR provided the biggest shock of the night as they knocked out Rafa Benitez’s Everton after an entertaining evening at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

Charlie Austin’s first-half brace came either side of a Lucas Digne goal, before Andros Townsend levelled the match just two minutes into the second half.

All-square after 90 minutes, the match went straight to penalties and nothing could budge the two teams up until Everton’s seventh kick.

Ben Godfrey saw his effort saved by Seny Dieg, but Kevin Friend had spotted the Swiss goalkeeper make a slight movement off of his line before the ball was struck, so a retake was ordered and, this time, Godfrey made no mistake.

QPR would not have to wait much longer for a winning penalty however, as on the eight round, Tom Davies had his effort saved onto the post before Jimmy Dunne converted to complete the shock.

Brentford 7-0 Oldham

Having knocked out League Two leaders Forest Green in the previous round, the Bees made light work of the EFL’s basement side, Oldham.

Brentford, who made 11 changes from their win at Wolves at the weekend, were last season’s Carabao Cup dark horses when they reached the semi-final stages, and they rarely looked troubled by Keith Curle’s strugglers.

Marcus Forss netted himself first-half hat-trick, whilst an additional goal from Yoane Wissa and an own goal from Raphael Diarra meant the tie was comfortably over at half-time.

Forss bagged his fourth and Brentford’s sixth on the hour mark before Wissa doubled his tally to wrap up a 7-0 win.

Burnley 4-1 Rochdale
The Clarets were left largely frustrated in the first half by a Rochdale side currently sitting eighth in League Two.

Sean Dyche’s men fell behind just two minutes after the half-time interval when Jake Beesley put the underdogs ahead.

But a 12-minute Jay Rodriguez hat-trick swung the tie back in the Premier League sides favour.

The 32-year-old one-time England international scored his and Burnley’s fourth in the 74th minute to confirm their fourth round berth.

Watford 1-3 Stoke

Stoke were the only side of the evening to knock out Premier League opposition inside 90 minutes, as they sent Watford packing.

Former Manchester United forward Nick Powell gave the Potters a first-half lead before another ex-Red Devil levelled for the Hornets when Ashley Fletcher scored \.

Sam Clucas and Josh Tymon both found the scoresheet in the final 10 minutes to give the travelling Stoke faithful a memorable evening in Hertfordshire.

Sheffield United 2-2 Southampton (2-4 on penalties)

Last season’s Premier League basement boys Sheffield United took Ralph Hasenhuttl struggling Saints all the way to penalties.

Enda Stevens had given the Blades a perfect start after eight minutes, but Southampton responded through Ibrahima Diallo.

Mohammed Salisu had given the visitors the lead on 53 minutes but Sheffield United pegged them back through Oli McBurnie.

The Championship side missed two of their spot kicks to give Oriol Romeu the chance to win it, and he duly converted.

Fulham 0-0 Leeds (5-6 on penalties)

Craven Cottage hosted the only goalless tie of the evening, but that wasn’t for a lack of trying.

The side currently second-place in he Championship had 15 shots on goal, with six of them forcing Illan Meslier into action, but neither team could find that elusive goal.

Marcelo Bielsa’s men missed two spot kicks, but Fulham were not able to capitalise as they missed three, Rodrigo Muniz firing off target with what proved to be the last penalty.

Other results:

Preston 4-1 Cheltenham

Wigan 0-2 Sunderland

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *